IMPORTANCE OF FACIAL SKIN CARE
- Skin is the body’s largest organ so it is very important to take good care of it
- Simplify your skin care routine
- Too many products can irritate the skin
- Focus on the basic skin care such as a gentle cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen
- Apply a lip balm that contains a sunscreen with SPF of at least 15. If lips are dry or chapped apply petroleum jelly for added moisture.
- Keep your hands off your face
FACETS FOR EFFECTIVE FACIAL SKIN CARE
- Use a gentle cleanser
- Toner should be used after washing the face as it helps smooth and calm skin while restoring nutrients
- Moisturizer should be used every time you wash your face
- Sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 should be used daily
DISADVANTAGES OF USING CHEAP COSMETICS ON THE FACE
- Allergic and irritant contact dermatitis
- Abnormal pigmentation on the skin
- Eruption of acne due to clogging of pores
- Some beauty items contain toxins and chemicals such as lead, arsenic, mercury, formaldehyde, carbon black and a few others which can cause cancer, reproductive, endocrine and neurological problems.
ADVICE OF SKIN CARE IN SUMMER
- Always use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30
- Avoid hot water baths
- Always apply moisturizer soon after bath and reapply if very dry skin
- Wear long sleeved clothes, use an umbrella and a wide brimmed hat for better skin protection
- Avoid midday sun as much as possible
CRITERIA FOR CHOOSING A SUNSCREEN
The American academy of dermatology suggests that regardless of the skin type a water resistant broad spectrum (protects against UVA and UVB rays) sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 should be used all year round .
TIPS OF NAIL CARE
- Moisturize hands and nails after hand washing
- Do not bite finger nails or remove the cuticles
- To trim your nails cut straight across
- When toenails are thick and difficult to cut soak your feet in warm salt water for at least 10 minutes and then cut them
- Wear shoes that fit properly
- Do not use your nails as a tool for activities such as opening cans
- Wear flip flops at the pool and in public showers in order to reduce risk of infections caused by a fungus that can get into your toenails
- Avoid use of harsh nail care products such as those with formaldehyde, phthalates and toluene
- When using nail polish remover opt for an acetone free formula
- Wear gloves whenever possible
MINERALS AND VITAMINS THAT STRENGTHEN THE NAILS
- A multitude of regimens exist for treatment of brittle nails including ingestion of biotin , vitamin A , B , C and D , iron , calcium , silicon , magnesium ,zinc, selenium and amino acids
- Eating a nutritionally balanced diet is very crucial for nail health
ADVICE REGARDING CHEAP NAIL CARE PRODUCTS
- Allergic and irritant contact dermatitis around the nails
- Dermatitis around the mouth , on the eyelids and neck
- Surface friability and breakage of nail plate
WHAT IS NEW IN SKINCARE
- As we spend more time behind computer screens, it is very important to protect ourselves from HEV (high energy visible) light also called blue light. Blue light is one of the several colors in the visible light spectrum. In general about 25% of sunlight is blue light and other sources of blue light are smart phones, tablets, laptops, TV screens, fluorescent and LED bulbs. Blue light can cause premature skin aging due to changes in skin cells including cell shrinkage and death. Sunscreens are mandatory as much as products that contain antioxidants such as Licochalcone A and Glycerrhectinic acid which work against oxidative stress and protect skin cells.
- With mask related breakouts on the rise it is important to use skincare products that are gentle and supportive of skin barrier and microbiome to help balance the impact of irritation from mask wearing and frequent cleansing.
- Lot of promising new innovations around acne treatments such as bacteriophage technology which can kill specific bacteria causing acne.
- Innovations of skin replenishing ingredients such as lipids and essential oils to reinforce skin barrier.
Consultant Dermatologist Al Hilal Hospital Manama