Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune skin disorder, in which flaky patches of skin form scales. These patches look red or pink on brown, black and white skin- with silver or white scales. On black or brown skin, the patches look dark brown or purple, with grey scales. The patches can appear anywhere on the body, but usually they are seen on knees, elbows, lower back, or scalp. Usually, patients are affected with small patches only, and in some cases, these can be sore or itchy as well. While psoriasis can start at any age, usually adults between 20- 30 years and 50-60 years develop the disease, and it affects women and men equally.
For consultation regarding treatment of psoriasis and other dermatological issues, contact Al Hilal Hospital, Department of Dermatology and Cosmetology today and get an appointment with the best dermatologist and cosmetologist in Bahrain.
Our representatives are available on WhatsApp helpline, in Al Hilal Manama, Salmabad, Riffa and Muharraq branches, for your convenience. We also offer exclusive packages and privilege cards for additional benefits- to provide affordable yet exceptional healthcare services to all our patients.
Click here for more information about Dermatology and Cosmetology– by Dr. Sithara Sreedharan, Consultant Dermatologist, Al Hilal Hospital Bahrain.
Best Psoriasis Treatment/ Psoriasis Scalp Treatment
Psoriasis treatment is determined by the severity and type of psoriasis, and the area of skin affected by the disease. Psoriasis treatment help in keeping the disease under control- it generally starts with mild treatment, and if the response is not good, the dermatologist would move on to stronger treatment options. There are a variety of options available, using psoriasis treatment cream, psoriasis treatment injection and psoriasis treatment medications- the dermatologist accesses the situation and decides the best psoriasis treatment method for the patient.
Generally, following types of treatment methods/ products are used for psoriasis:
- Topical Corticosteroids– psoriasis treatment cream and ointment are applied to the skin. These reduce swelling, redness, scales and itching on scalp- in both kids and adults. It is the most effective psoriasis scalp treatment and works quickly.
- Calcineurin Inhibitors– Topical tacrolimus 0.1% and pimecrolimus 1% are effective in the treatment of psoriasis in sensitive areas.
- Phototherapy– the skin is exposed to narrowband ultraviolet B radiation (NB-UVB).
- Systemic– psoriasis treatment injection or psoriasis treatment medications are administered- Methotrexate, Ciclosporin, Acitretin are one of the aggressive methods of approach towards psoriasis.
- Medicated Shampoos– for stubborn scalp psoriasis, shampoo containing clobetasol propionate is usually prescribed.
- Scale Softeners– if the scalp is thick, salicylic acid is used for softening the thick patches.
- Calcipotriene– manmade vitamin D, this helps in penetrating the thick patches of psoriasis.
- Tazarotene– it helps in clearing the scalp. Generally, a thin layer is applied to scalp before going to bed and is showered off in the morning.
- Coal Tar– although not used very often, it might be prescribed for scalp itches.
- Biologics– adalimumab, etanercept, infliximab certolizumab,ustekinumab),rizankizumab, guselkumab and tildrakizumab,ixekizumab and secukinumab, Apremilast are monoclonal antibodies or soluble receptors that target proinflammatory cytokines and has a dramatic impact on outcomes in moderate–severe type of psoriasis.
For more information about psoriasis and psoriasis treatment options contact Al Hilal Hospital, Department of Dermatology and Cosmetology today, and get consultation with best dermatologist Bahrain in Bahrain.
Our representatives are also available on WhatsApp helpline, in Al Hilal Manama, Salmabad, Riffa and Muharraq branches.
Click here for more information about Dermatology and Cosmetology– by Dr. Sithara Sreedharan, Consultant Dermatologist, Al Hilal Hospital Bahrain
How to Cure Psoriasis Permanently
Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure for psoriasis, and all the treatment options work to keep the symptoms under control. While the question ‘how to cure psoriasis permanently’ remains unanswered, the patients can get professional help to find the ideal treatment method for them, combined with precautionary measures, to avoid the symptoms of psoriasis.
Psoriasis Treatment Diet
Certain food items are known for causing inflammation in the body, making the symptoms of psoriasis worse. Hence, it is essential for psoriasis patients to avoid food items that trigger inflammatory response and cause overdrive of body’s defense mechanism. For psoriasis treatment diet, following items should be avoided:
- Alcohol– it puts extra pressure on liver and can cause long-term inflammation.
- Dairy– as most dairy items are high in fat, they can cause inflammation.
- Food with Refined Carbohydrates– most of the refined carbohydrates are highly processed, causing spike in blood sugar and leading to inflammation.
- Saturated and Trans fats– fats in cheese, red meat, margarines, fried food, fast food, and other processed snacks generally trigger inflammation in body, by increasing amount of LDL in blood.
- Food High in Sugar– soda, candies, fruit juices, baked goods and sweets can cause an increase in inflammatory protein, cytokines, that leads to chronic inflammation.
- Gluten– psoriasis patients have an increased tendency for celiac disease, in which gluten triggers autoimmune response causing body to attack small intestine tissues. Gluten must be completely avoided by celiac patients, and avoiding glutens also reduces flare-ups in psoriasis patients.
Al Hilal Hospital Bahrain, Department of Dermatology & Cosmetology
For more information about psoriasis and other dermatological diseases, consult an expert dermatologist/ cosmetologist. At Al Hilal Hospital, Department of Dermatology and Cosmetology, we have highly qualified and experienced doctors, modern equipment, and state-of-the-art laboratories, to provide early detection and treatment options for all the patients.
Contact Al Hilal Hospital, and get consultation with the best dermatologist and cosmetologist in Bahrain for diagnosis and treatment of psoriasis as well as other dermatological diseases. For your convenience, our representatives are available on WhatsApp helpline, in Al Hilal Manama, Salmabad, Riffa and Muharraq branches. We also offer exclusive packages and privilege cards for additional benefits, to provide affordable yet exceptional healthcare services to all our patients.