What is Orthopedics?
Orthopedics is the branch of medicine that focuses on patients with skeletal deformities- including their diagnosis, correction, prevention, and treatment. It also deals with the disorders of joints, ligaments, bones, muscles, nerves, skin, and tendons- all the elements that make up the musculoskeletal system.
Who is Orthopedic Doctor?
The healthcare professionals specializing in orthopedics are called orthopedic doctors- they treat musculoskeletal issues and disorders, using surgical or non-surgical approach. These issues might include sports injuries, back problems, or joint pain. Orthopedics are trained to treat a variety of conditions and diseases, including dislocations, fractures, sprain, and other issues that will be discussed in detail in the following paragraphs.
Types of Orthopedic Doctors
Generally, there are two types of orthopedists: nonsurgical and surgical. The nonsurgical orthopedics include rehabilitation and physical medicine specialists as well as physiatrists, while the later are called orthopedic surgeons. Usually, the orthopedist works as a part of orthopedic team, that includes nurse practitioners, physician assistants, athletic trainers, physical and occupational therapists.
Why is Orthopedic Surgery performed?
The orthopedic surgeries are performed to either repair broken bones, or to heal injuries to tendons and muscles. Also, the surgeries can be required for improving function of the bones and muscles, or to eliminate or reduce pain. The surgeries might also work in combination with other options, including therapies, rehabilitation process and pain management, with the aim of producing better results.
Types of Orthopedic Surgeries
There are several types of orthopedic surgeries, including
- Joints– ankle fractures, ankle replacement, joint aspirations, hip fracture surgeries, knee replacements surgery, shoulder replacement surgery, arthritis, and hip replacement surgery
- Spine– back surgery, cervical disk surgery. Back surgery for compression fractures, laminectomy
- Sports related surgeries– tommy john surgery, carpal tunnel surgery, sprains and strains treatment, rotator cuff problem surgery
- Bones– broken arm treatment, ankle fractures, osteoporosis bone fractures
- Children’s Orthopedics– treatment for scoliosis, clubfoot treatment, broken bone surgery, growth palate fracture.
Who needs to see Orthopedic Doctor
If you are having knee or back pain on regular basis, you feel stiff and sore after sleeping or being sedentary for some time, or if you have any surgery that is not healing- it is time to start looking for Orthopedic doctor near me. In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, any pain or discomfort in the musculoskeletal system can be treated by orthopedic doctor. The orthopedics treat a variety of conditions, that might either be present from birth, or result from age-related wear and tear or perhaps any injury.
Some of the most common conditions treated by orthopedic doctors include:
- Joint pain caused by Arthritis
- Injuries of soft tissues, especially the ones affecting ligaments, tendons, and muscles.
- Bone fractures
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Bursitis- pain and problems of shoulders
- Clubfoot, scoliosis, and other congenital conditions
- Sports injuries, including tendinitis, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears, sprains, and meniscus tear
- Bone cancer
- Spine problems and conditions
Benefits of consulting Orthopedic Doctor
Orthopedic doctors are skilled in
- Diagnosis of injuries or disorders
- Treatments using exercise, medication, other treatment plans or surgery
- Rehabilitation by suggesting exercises or physical therapy for restoration of strength, movement, or function
- Prevention of damage by providing information or treatment plans to prevent injury, or to slow down the process of disease progression.
Results of Orthopedic consultation
The consultation starts with a short interview regarding the symptoms that you are experiencing, how long have you been having them, what medication have you used in this regard and your family medical history. The orthopedic consultant would then conduct a physical exam, to look for any obvious signs of the problem, including bruises, swelling or infections. At this step, the patient would receive either preliminary or final diagnosis. In some cases, image testing and lab tests are also performed to further confirm diagnosis, and move on to either medication, therapy, or surgery accordingly.
Best Orthopedic Surgeon in Bahrain
Al Hilal Hospital has highly qualified and professional Orthopedic Doctors- along with modern lab facilities and well-trained staff members. In addition to consultants, we also boast the best Spine Surgeon in Bahrain and best Pediatric Orthopedic Bahrain, to provide outstanding healthcare services for all our patients. Currently, the department of Orthopedics in Al Hilal Hospital is offering the procedures/ treatments:
- Arthritis treatment
- General orthopedics
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Joint replacement of Hip & knee surgery
- Hand and upper extremity
- Limb lengthening and reconstruction surgery
- Orthopedic trauma
- Musculoskeletal oncology
- TKR- Total knee replacement surgery
- Pediatric orthopedics
- Orthoscopic surgeries
- Spine surgery
- ACL reconstruction
- Sports medicine
- THR- Total Hip Replacement surgery
- Physiotherapy and sports medicine
Dr. Abdul Jaleel, Al Hilal Hospital Muharraq
Al Hilal Hospital Muharraq offers services of the best Orthopedic Surgeon in Bahrain– Dr. Abdul Jaleel. With 20 years of experience, Dr. Abdul Jaleel is a highly qualified professional, and he holds a highly impressive profile. He has a proven record of accurate diagnosis and high rate of successful surgeries and is trusted by his patients and fellow doctors equally.
Call Al Hilal Hospital Muharraq today and book your consultation with Dr. Abdul Jaleel for early diagnosis and efficient treatment.