Stress is such an inbuilt part and parcel of our daily lives that it is almost impossible for any of us to even imagine a life without stress. In our hectic lifestyle, there are innumerable factors which act as sources of tension and pressures. These include family, workplace, health, relationships, environment, and the list can go on. However, it is possible to actually take charge of our own lives to prevent ourselves from getting stressed out.
1. Don’t escape. Since stress is an inevitable part of life, we are often tempted to give up certain roles and run into an avoidant mode. Rather than running away from responsibilities, we must not avoid the stress and instead develop better coping mechanisms to face them.
2. Healthy lifestyle choices. A disciplined and healthy lifestyle is very beneficial in maintaining mental health. An adequate sleep, a proper diet, staying away from substances, and regular physical exercise would help us stay physically as well as mentally fit.
3. Maintain a life balance. Effective time management is the key to staying mentally healthy. This is important to ensure a stress-free life both at home as well as at work.
4. Be realistic. Remember, life is not meant to be a smooth sailing journey. There are bound to be both highs and lows, and it is vital for us to be prepared for them. Being overly optimistic could actually translate into unrealistic expectations. It is important to set practical goals, prioritize tasks and to keep in mind any extraneous factors as well.
5. Focus on the present. It is very easy to get caught up in thinking of the past or planning for the future. At the same time, it is important to reiterate to ourselves the importance of the here and now. Making a conscious effort to live in the present and to enjoy each moment for its worth goes a long way in maintaining mental health.
6. Use humour. If you make an effort to find opportunities to smile and laugh often, not only would this help lighten your mood, but it will also have a positive effect on the others around you. This is the cheapest and easiest stress-buster ever!
7. Talk. It is very important to express your feelings to someone. Talking about your stress not only helps in releasing the tension but also helps build your resilience towards such stressors in the future.
8. Be open to ask for help. If you are finding it difficult to deal with the stress, do not hesitate to ask for help. Such pressures and overloads can lead to a state of burnout and exhaustion, making the individual more vulnerable to experience depressive or anxiety features. Therefore, you must seek adequate professional help to deal with your stress.
9. Take out time for yourself. Despite the hectic lifestyle, we must not neglect our own self. We have the right to give priority to our self and our needs, so as to ensure we are able to stay healthy enough to remain capable of fulfilling our roles and responsibilities with justice.
10. Don’t give up! No matter how stressed your life might be, you must not lose hope. Remember, the stressors will not last forever, and therefore this would be just a phase of your life, which you need to face and overcome.